Thursday, February 5, 2009

Mind Your Manners

Lately I've been thinking about etiquette. Perhaps it is because as a mother, I am constantly explaining to my daughter what kinds of things are proper or not proper to do in public. I guess it is the fact that manners are so constantly in my frame of reference that I happen to notice how others use them when I am out in public.

And notice the public I do. In fact, I've come to the believe that for a majority of the general public, manners are becoming obsolete.

We've all seen the individuals who believe that public grooming is acceptable. Usually they are in the privacy of their cars or cubicles. Perhaps it is the fact that they are in a confined area that leads them to believe that they are can conduct private actions, while in public.

Everyone has been witness to the kind of person who shaves or put on makeup or shaves while driving. All issues of safety aside, I don't want to watch some guy shaving as I am driving down the highway. (Not to mention the fact that I can't help but think that a jerk of the car could slit his jugular vein). But for me, the icing on the cake was the other night when I was out to eat with my family. As I was enjoying my premeal beverage, I heard a distinct sound. A clip, clip, clip..... Could it be what I thought it was? Certainly no one could be so rude as to clip their nails in a public restaurant?! Of course they could! When I turned around, I saw a middle-aged yuppie clipping his nails into his empty dinner plate.

I immediately felt my stomach do a turn and I wanted to cover my drink to keep it safe from stray finger nails. Has this become socially acceptable now? Is it just me or is this not absolutely disgusting? Who want's to get to the bottom of their soup bowl and find some guys fingernail? I mean, Really! Of all the disgusting public acts of grooming that I've seen lately, I have to rank this one at the top of the list.

No comments: